Hurray! It’s that time of the year again when we get to stop and reflect on how thankful we are for our pooches and think about those in need of a fur-ever home. One of the best ways to celebrate National Dog Week is to adopt a shelter pet! There are many local shelters with some really great dogs available for adoption – www.jaxhumane.org, www.coj.net/pets, www.kampkritter.com, www.clayhumane.org to name a few. A terrific resource for finding the perfect dog for your family is www.petfinder.com. Most shelters and rescue groups post their adoptable pets to PetFinder.
If your house is full of pets already, you may not be in the market for an adorable new furry friend. So, what are some other ways to appreciate your pup during National Dog Week? Here are some ideas, with or without kids…
- tap into your creative side and draw a picture of a dog you have or would like to have,
- visit an animal shelter and consider donating money or food/supplies,
- make sugar cookies shaped like dog bones and give them to neighbors or coworkers,
- bake some homemade dog treats,
- make dog puppets out of small paper bags with the kids,
- talk about dogs and what needs to be done to take care of them,
- set up a dramatic play area to look like a pet shop,
- give your dog a bath and a good walk!
Also, there a several upcoming pet-friendly pet events in October. Bring your dog just for fun! Or go look for a new dog to adopt.
- October 5 – Pet Fair & Blessing of the Animals, 10-2, St. Philip Neri Ecumenical Church, Baymeadows
- October 20 – My Pet Expo, 12-6, Morocco Shrine Auditorium, Jax
- October 26 – Dogtoberfest, 11-3, Metropolitan Park, downtown Jax